Trip and Fall Lawyer Metairie, LA
If you recently got hurt in a trip and fall accident, you may want to consult a Metairie, LA trip and fall lawyer. If the accident was caused by someone else’s negligence, you may be entitled to compensation. A lawyer can help you hold the right people accountable.
Common Causes of Trip and Fall Accidents
Trip and fall accidents can occur in many different settings, from grocery stores to parking lots, and cause various injuries. Here are the most common causes of trip and fall accidents.
- Wet floors. Wet floors account for a large percentage of trip and fall accidents. For example, if milk or juice gets spilled in a grocery store and isn’t cleaned up in time, customers can trip and fall over the liquid spill. Likewise, freshly mopped floors can also create a tripping hazard. It’s important for wet floor signs to be used in these situations to warn customers.
- Broken handrails. Handrails are designed to help people walk up and down the stairs safely. If these handrails are broken, however, they can’t do their job properly. As a result, people are more likely to trip over stairs.
- Weather. Weather is not something that anyone can control and is another common cause of trip and fall accidents. However, property owners and managers can take steps to reduce the risk of these accidents after bad weather. For example, they can place mats at entryways after a rainstorm.
- Cluttered walkways. As a Metairie trip and fall lawyer can confirm, people can also suffer trip and fall accidents from cluttered walkways. If there are various objects scattered on the floor and people aren’t paying attention, they can trip and suffer serious injuries.
- Inadequate lighting. In order to navigate an area safely, you must be able to see properly. That is why proper lighting is essential. Property owners and managers should pay careful attention to the lighting in walkways, staircases and sidewalks. They should periodically check their light bulbs and replace them when necessary.
- Improper footwear. Those who wear the wrong shoes have a higher risk of suffering slip and fall accidents. High heels are not the only type of shoes that put people at risk. Shoes with poor traction can also increase the likelihood of a trip and fall accident.
What to Do After a Trip and Fall Accident
No matter the location, getting into a trip and fall accident can be a scary and shocking experience. The first thing you should do is seek emergency medical care. These accidents can result in serious injuries, so it’s important to get checked out by a doctor.
It is also essential to discuss your case with an experienced trip and fall lawyer. He or she can help you gather evidence to prove your case and handle communications with the insurance company.
Schedule a consultation with a Metairie trip and fall lawyer from The Law Offices of Frank D’Amico, Jr. today.
Types of Evidence to Strengthen Your Trip and Fall Case
If you suffered a trip and fall accident on someone else’s property, you may be entitled to compensation for your medical expenses, lost wages and other losses. However, in order to have a successful case, you must have sufficient evidence. Here are different types of evidence your Metairie, LA trip and fall lawyer may need.
- Photos. As the old saying goes, a picture is worth a thousand words. This is especially true for personal injury claims. If possible, take several photos of the trip and fall accident scene. For example, if you fell over spilled juice in a grocery store, take a photo of the spill. If you are too hurt to take photos, ask a bystander for assistance.
- Video footage. Many properties have cameras recording their premises at all times. Make sure to ask for the video footage from the property owner/manager before you leave the scene.
- Witnesses. Were there people present when your trip and fall accident took place? If so, you may want to ask for their full names and contact information. They can corroborate your story and strengthen your case.
- Maintenance logs. If you suffered a trip and fall accident and got injured, it may be helpful to obtain maintenance logs from the property owner. These logs can indicate whether or not hazardous conditions were recently addressed. If they show that the property owner did not maintain the property, you may want to speak with a Metairie trip and fall lawyer.
- Injury journal. After a trip and fall accident, it may be a good idea to write in an injury journal. Writing a journal is an effective way to demonstrate non-monetary losses, like emotional distress and pain and suffering. For example, if you sustained a back injury during the accident and have trouble falling asleep as a result, jot that information down. Likewise, if you have felt depressed after your accident and do not participate in your favorite activities anymore, write that down too.
- Medical records. One of the first things you should do after a trip and fall accident is seek medical attention. These accidents can result in serious injuries, so you should get evaluated by a doctor promptly. He or she can diagnose your injuries and recommend the appropriate treatment. Do not forget to ask for copies of these medical records to demonstrate the extent of your injuries.
- Accident report. Following a trip and fall accident, you should report the incident to the property owner/manager. He or she will file a report, which will include important information about the accident, such as when and where it happened. Ask for a copy of the report for your records.
- Weather report. If rain or other weather conditions caused you to trip and fall, a Metairie trip and fall lawyer may advise you to obtain a weather report for the day of the accident.