Car Accident Lawyer Metairie, LA
If you were involved in a car crash, you may want to contact a Metairie, LA car accident lawyer. You deserve to be compensated for your medical bills, lost wages and other losses. An experienced lawyer can help you file a claim against the negligent party and protect your legal rights.
Common Mistakes to Avoid at a Car Accident Scene
Getting into a car accident can be a traumatic experience. However, it is important to not let your emotions get the best of you. If you do, you could hurt your chances of receiving fair compensation. Here are some common mistakes to avoid at a car accident scene.
- Staying in traffic. Following a car accident, it is important to move your vehicle to a safe spot. Otherwise, other drivers are more likely to hit you and cause an even more serious accident. Never stand in the middle of the road and always be aware of your surroundings when exchanging information with the other driver.
- Losing your cool. If another driver hit your vehicle, it is normal to feel angry and frustrated. However, you should avoid losing your temper. Doing this can make the entire situation worse and may even escalate a fight. Instead, you should take a deep breath and calmly exchange your information with the other driver. Do not yell or raise your voice.
- Neglecting to contact the police. One of the first things you should do after a car accident is call the police. They will come to the accident scene and file a report, which may include important information about the crash. A Metairie car accident lawyer may advise you to obtain a copy of the police report for your records.
- Admitting fault. Even if you believe that you are partially to blame for the car accident, do not admit guilt at the scene. Even statements like “I’m sorry” could hurt your case. Say as little as possible to keep your claim safe.
- Forgetting to take photos of the accident scene. Photos are one of the most important pieces of evidence you can have for a car accident claim. As such, you will want to take multiple photos of all the vehicles involved in the accident, traffic signs, weather conditions and skid marks on the road. A basic smartphone camera will take perfectly acceptable photos.
Getting Compensation in a Car Accident Case
If you sustained injuries in a car accident that was another driver’s fault, you may be entitled to compensation. An experienced car accident lawyer can help you fight for that compensation. He or she can help you gather evidence, identify all liable parties and negotiate with the insurance company. Having an experienced lawyer on your side can give you peace of mind.
What You Need To Know About Louisiana Car Accidents
Following a car accident, there are certain things you should know to do whether you are still at the scene of the accident or not. When you are involved in a car accident, you might be in the beginning stages of learning how to file a claim and recover compensation. You are likely still recovering from your accident and not sure what you will need insurance to help pay for. A lawyer you can trust will be crucial following a car accident. They can help you to organize your evidence so that you are filing a claim for the right amount of compensation. You do not want to be stuck paying medical bills out of pocket that the liable party’s insurance should be covering. To learn more about what you need to do after a car accident and how our firm can help, give us a call now.
What To Do At The Accident Scene
There are certain things you should do while you are at the accident scene.
- Call the authorities and emergency services. Certain circumstances will require you to call the police when you are still at the scene of the accident. This includes if you or someone else involved in the accident sustained an injury, died, or if there is $500 or more of property damage. Additionally, if anyone is seriously harmed, do not try to take them to the hospital on your own. It is important to get medical professionals at the scene of the accident to administer first aid or take injured people to the hospital.
- Gather evidence. Understandably, your mind is likely in shock. In fact, your whole body probably is. You may be trying to compartmentalize, you might be trying to understand what happened, and you may not even realize the full extent of your injuries. However, if you can safely do so, you should take this time to gather evidence. Take pictures, take videos, and jot down notes before your memory gets fuzzy. Make sure you have clothes from the accident placed in a bag and labeled if it contains evidence, like blood or shards of glass from your car. Your lawyer will thank you when it comes time to work on a claim.
What to Know About Louisiana’s Fault System
Each state will have its own rules when it comes to who is at fault for the accident and determining how the victim will get compensated. Louisiana follows what is known as a pure comparative negligence system. This simply means that your percentage of compensation will be determined by the facts of the accident and by what percentage responsible you were for the accident. If a court determines that your damages are $100,000 and you were 20% responsible for the accident, your damages will be reduced by 20% and you will get paid $80,000.
I’m worried about going to court. Will I have to go to court?
Not necessarily. Many personal injury claims do not end up making their way to a courtroom. Insurance companies often prefer to settle outside of court due to the time and money that goes into this. This might give you an upper hand when it comes to negotiating and settling. It will also be in your best interest to work with a lawyer who can help you through the negotiations so that you are getting the right amount of compensation instead of settling for less than you deserve.
Schedule a consultation with a Metairie car accident lawyer from The Law Offices of Frank D’Amico, Jr to discuss your case.
Most Common Reasons For Car Accidents
Car accidents are commonplace, and a person will likely experience a car accident in their lifetime, which may require assistance from a Metairie, LA car accident lawyer to seek the compensation victims are entitled to. Physical injuries from car accidents can range from minor to severe. However, it’s important to note that even the most minor of injuries can substantially impact a victim. As The Law Offices of Frank D’Amico, Jr. will share, there are several reasons that car accidents occur, including:
Reason #1: Distracted Driving
Distracted driving is one of the most common reasons for car accidents today. This type of action is any behavior that impacts the driver’s attention, ultimately impacting their ability to operate a motor vehicle safely. In more recent years, distracted driving has been on the rise for several reasons. Not only are cars equipped with features that may be distracting, but cell phone use can also draw the driver’s attention from the road. Common types of distracted driving can include:
- Cell Phone Use
- Reaching for Something
- Using the Navigation System
- Talking to Passengers
- Animals in the Vehicle
- Putting Makeup On
Reason #2: Driving Under the Influence of Drugs or Alcohol
It should come as no surprise that driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol can impact a person’s ability to operate a vehicle. There are stringent laws in place across the country regarding drinking and driving. A Metairie car accident lawyer can share that despite these laws, people still get behind the wheel after over consuming alcohol. The effects of drinking and driving impair a person’s judgment and make them unable to operate a motor vehicle safely. Should an accident occur, the results are often disastrous.
Reason #3: Poor Weather or Road Conditions
Driving in poor weather or road conditions can make it more challenging for a person to handle a motor vehicle. Debris on the road can be challenging to avoid, and poor weather, like rain or snow, can make it difficult to see the road and other vehicles in the driver’s path. As a result of this and debris on the road, a driver may lose control of the vehicle, especially when coupled with some of the other common reasons for car accidents, like driving under the influence or while distracted.
Reason #4: Reckless Driving
Reckless driving occurs when a person blatantly disregards the rules of the road, failing to adhere to traffic laws. This severe offense can result in charges for the responsible party, regardless of whether an accident has occurred. Traffic rules are in place for a reason: to protect those on the road. Common types of reckless driving may include:
- Driving at High Speeds
- Improper Passing
- Running Red Lights
- Texting and Driving
The damages that result from car accidents can be frustrating, painful, and even life-changing. Victims have a right to seek compensation from their insurance company and, in some cases, the party responsible for the accident. To ensure the best possible outcome, it will be necessary to at least consult with a lawyer to determine the appropriate next steps. To learn more about how a Metairie car accident lawyer from The Law Offices of Frank D’Amico, Jr., call to schedule a consultation.