18 Wheeler Accident Lawyer Metairie, LA
If you were injured in an accident with an 18 wheeler, you may want to speak with a Metairie, LA 18 wheeler accident lawyer. You may be entitled to compensation. A lawyer can help you hold the right parties accountable.
How Truck Accidents Are Different Than Car Accidents
Truck accidents occur every day in the U.S. for various different reasons. If you were hurt in a truck collision, you may want to consult a Metairie, LA 18 wheeler accident lawyer. You may be entitled to compensation for your medical expenses, lost wages and other losses. Here are some of the different ways truck accidents differ from car accidents.
- Truck accidents can cause more severe injuries than car accidents. Accident victims have a higher chance of sustaining life-threatening injuries in truck accidents than in accidents only involving passenger vehicles. Commercial trucks are considerably larger and heavier than passenger vehicles, so they can severely damage anything they touch. Common truck accident injuries include traumatic brain injuries, amputations, spinal cord injuries, burns and internal bleeding. Some of these injuries can have life-long effects and cost a lot of money to treat.
- Truck accidents can have multiple liable parties. In an accident only involving passenger vehicles, the driver is usually the only one responsible. However, in truck accidents, there may be several liable parties. In addition to the truck driver, the trucking company may also be held responsible for an accident. For example, if a trucking company pressured truck drivers to drive longer than they should, the company may be held liable for a collision. Other liable parties may include truck manufacturers, truck mechanics and cargo loading teams.
- Truck accidents have different evidence. In a car accident case, the evidence is typically limited to the actual scene of the accident, such as photos of the crash and witness statements. As a Metairie 18 wheeler accident lawyer can confirm, truck accidents may include additional evidence, like maintenance reports, truck company hiring records and records from electronic logging devices. An experienced attorney can help you obtain this evidence, which can strengthen your case.
- Cargo can be a hazard of its own. Commercial trucks carry cargo. Unfortunately, the cargo can be a hazard of its own. If the truck driver did not secure the cargo properly, the cargo could fly out of the truck and cause a serious accident.
- Truck accidents are more difficult to prevent. As a driver of a passenger vehicle, you may have some knowledge of other drivers’ movements on the road. You may be able to anticipate a crash and then prevent it from happening. This is not so easy to do with commercial trucks. Truck drivers handle the road differently than drivers of passenger vehicles, so you might not be able to predict their movements.
- Truck accidents can cause severe property damage. When you are involved in an accident with a commercial truck, you also have to worry more about the damage to your car. As mentioned above, commercial trucks are very large and heavy, so they can do a lot of damage. As a Metairie 18 wheeler accident lawyer can confirm, if your car gets struck by a commercial truck, it has a higher chance of getting totaled.
Common Causes of Truck Driver Fatigue
Truck driver fatigue is one of the most common causes of 18 wheeler accidents. When truck drivers are fatigued, they may have trouble focusing on the road ahead and can’t react to situations as quickly. Here are the most common causes of truck driver fatigue.
- Tight deadlines. Although federal regulations prohibit truck drivers from being on the road for too many hours in a row, not all of them follow these rules. The trucking companies they work for may pressure them to deliver goods on tight deadlines. They may have to drive extra long hours to meet these deadlines.
- Driving at night. Many truck drivers are on the road at night. Unfortunately, drivers tend to be less alert in the dark, even if they got enough sleep the night before. Additionally, it can be more difficult to see in the dark, especially on secluded roads.
- Certain medications. Truck drivers may also take certain over-the-counter medications that cause drowsiness. For example, they may take sleeping pills to help them get to sleep easier. However, sleeping pills can sometimes make you feel groggy hours after you’ve woken up. As a Metairie 18 wheeler accident lawyer can confirm, they may also take cold medicines that make them drowsy.
- Unhealthy foods. As mentioned above, truck drivers often have tight deadlines. They might not have enough time to sit down and have a proper meal. Instead, they may stop at fast food restaurants or gas stations and eat their food on the road. The food at these places are often processed and unhealthy, which can cause drowsiness.
- Alcohol use. Truck driving can be a stressful job, so some truck drives may drink alcohol to cope. Unfortunately, some of them may drink before getting behind the wheel. Drinking alcohol can increase fatigue and the risk of an accident.
- Medical conditions. Truck drivers may suffer from certain medical conditions that make it more difficult to stay alert behind the wheel. For example, sleep apnea is quite common among truck drivers. The sleep disorder can lead to reduced concentration, irritability and daytime sleepiness.
What to Do If You Were in an 18 Wheeler Accident Caused By Fatigue
If you were involved in an 18 wheeler accident caused by a fatigued driver, it is important to get in touch with an experienced lawyer promptly. A lawyer can help you go after the compensation you deserve. He or she can help you gather evidence, identify all of the liable parties and handle communications with the insurance company.
Schedule a consultation with a Metairie 18 wheeler accident lawyer from The Law Offices of Frank D’Amico, Jr. today.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Can I Find An Experienced 18 Wheeler Accident Lawyer In Metairie, La?
Finding an experienced Metairie, LA 18 Wheeler Accident Lawyer is crucial if you’ve been involved in a serious truck accident. You can start by seeking recommendations from friends, family, or colleagues who may have had similar legal needs. Additionally, online directories and reviews can provide valuable insights into the reputation and track record of attorneys in your area. For a trusted legal partner, consider reaching out to The Law Offices of Frank D’Amico, Jr.
What Should I Do Immediately After An 18 Wheeler Accident In Metairie, La?
After an 18 wheeler accident in Metairie, LA, your safety and well-being should be the top priority. First, ensure you and others involved in the accident are safe and seek medical attention if necessary. It’s essential to contact law enforcement to report the accident and document the scene. Gathering evidence, including photos and witness information, can also be crucial. Finally, consult with an experienced lawyer in your area to protect your legal rights and seek compensation for your injuries.
How Can A Lawyer Assist Me After A Truck Accident?
An Metairie 18 Wheeler Accident Lawyer can provide invaluable assistance after a truck accident. They will help you navigate the complex legal process, conduct a thorough investigation into the accident, and gather evidence to build a strong case on your behalf. Your attorney will negotiate with insurance companies and, if necessary, take the case to court to seek the compensation you deserve for medical expenses, lost wages, pain, and suffering.
What If The Trucking Company’s Insurance Offers Me A Settlement After The Accident?
It’s essential to approach any settlement offer from the trucking company’s insurance with caution. Often, these initial offers may not fully cover your damages. Consulting with an experienced lawyer is crucial before accepting any settlement. Your attorney can assess the offer, ensure it is fair, and negotiate on your behalf to maximize your compensation.
What If I Can’t Afford Legal Representation After An 18 Wheeler Accident?
Many reputable lawyers work on a contingency fee basis. This means you won’t have to pay any upfront legal fees. Instead, your attorney’s fees will be contingent on winning your case and obtaining compensation for you. If you don’t win your case, you typically won’t owe any attorney fees. This arrangement ensures that everyone has access to legal representation, regardless of their financial situation.
Experiencing an 18 wheeler accident in Metairie, LA, can be a traumatic and life-altering event. Seeking professional legal guidance is essential to protect your rights and secure the compensation you deserve. The Law Offices of Frank D’Amico, Jr., your trusted Metairie 18 Wheeler Accident Lawyer, is here to provide expert assistance.
Don’t hesitate to reach out to us if you have any questions or need assistance after an 18 wheeler accident. Your recovery and well-being are our top priorities. Contact our offices today to take the first step toward justice and compensation. We’re here to fight for your rights and provide the support you need during this challenging time.