18 Wheeler Accident Lawyer Gretna, LA
If you have been hurt in a truck accident, you may want to consult a Gretna, LA 18 wheeler accident lawyer. You may be entitled to compensation. A lawyer can help you pursue a timely claim and protect your legal rights.
Truck Driver Fatigue
Fatigue is one of the most common causes of truck accidents. When truck drivers are running on little sleep, they may have trouble focusing on the road ahead and have lower reaction times, which can cause an accident. They may even fall asleep behind the wheel. If you were injured in a truck accident, you may want to speak with a Gretna, LA 18 wheeler accident lawyer. You may be entitled to compensation.
Causes of Truck Driver Fatigue
Truck drivers are more likely to become fatigued than drivers of passenger vehicles. Here are a few reasons why.
- Long hours. It is not exactly a secret that truck drivers often spend long hours on the road. Although the law prohibits these drivers from driving too many consecutive hours in a row, some are under tight deadlines and stay on the road longer than they should. Eventually, these long hours can take a toll and can cause truck drivers to become fatigued.
- Poor diet. Since truck drivers spend so many hours on the road, they may not have time to prepare healthy meals. Instead, they may buy food from fast food restaurants and gas stations. These foods are often high in fat and simple carbohydrates, which can make a person feel sluggish. Truck drivers who have a poor diet may be more likely to get tired behind the wheel.
- Irregular schedules. As a Gretna 18 wheeler accident lawyer can confirm, many truck drivers have irregular schedules. As a result, they may not be able to have regular sleep schedules. Unfortunately, inconsistent sleep schedules can increase fatigue and accidents.
- Drug and alcohol use. Truck driving can be very stressful at times. Some truck drivers may use drugs and alcohol to deal with the stress. Unfortunately, drugs and alcohol can increase drowsiness, which can lead to an accident.
- Driving at night. Many truck drivers are on the road at late hours. This can also contribute to driver fatigue. The body’s internal clock may think it is time to go to sleep, so truck drivers may become tired and fall asleep behind the wheel.
Liability for Truck Accidents Caused By Fatigue
If you were hurt in a truck accident caused by driver fatigue, you deserve to be properly compensated. Here are the different parties that may be held responsible.
- Truck drivers. First and foremost, truck drivers can be held responsible for their actions. For instance, if a truck driver knowingly drove longer hours than he or she should have, the driver may be held liable for an accident.
- Trucking company. Unfortunately, it is not uncommon for trucking companies to put pressure on their drives to drive longer hours. They care about maximizing their profits and may not be concerned that their drivers are fatigued. These companies may set unrealistic deadlines, so drivers may feel like they need to drive extra hours. As a Gretna 18 wheeler accident lawyer can attest, this can make trucking companies responsible for accidents resulting from fatigue.
Why You Should Hire an 18 Wheeler Accident Lawyer
If you plan to file a personal injury claim after getting injured in an 18 wheeler accident, it’s wise to retain an experienced lawyer. Here are a few reasons why.
- Trucking companies have a team of lawyers. If you file a claim against a truck driver, remember that he or she works for a trucking company thay may have a team of lawyers. That is what you will be up against. Therefore, it is important to have a skilled and confident lawyer on your side. He or she will fight hard to get you the compensation you deserve.
- A lawyer can identify all liable parties. Truck accident cases tend to be more complex than accidents involving only passenger vehicles because there may be multiple liable parties. For example, if the trucking company failed to provide proper training to the truck driver who hit you, they may be also held responsible. An experienced lawyer can identify all of the liable parties.
- A lawyer knows the true value of your case. If you do not have a legal case, you might not know the true value of your case, so you might undervalue it. That’s another good reason to work with a Gretna 18 wheeler accident lawyer. He or she will consider all of your damages, such as medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering, when determining the value of your case.
- A lawyer can reduce your stress. Getting hurt in a truck accident is bad enough. Having to handle your own injury case will just add to your stress. An experienced lawyer can handle all the legwork so that you can focus on taking care of yourself.
- A lawyer can negotiate with the insurance company. You definitely do not want to go up against the truck company’s insurance company on your own. They care about the bottom line first and may stop at nothing to get out of paying you what you deserve. It is best to let your lawyer negotiate with the insurance company. He or she will know what to say to them and will not let them take advantage of you.
- A lawyer is motivated to help you. Most 18 wheeler accident lawyers work on a contingency fee. This means that they do not get paid unless they win their client’s case. As such, you can expect for your lawyer to be motivated to help you win.
If you want to pursue a legal claim, you should schedule a consultation with a Gretna 18 wheeler accident lawyer from The Law Offices of Frank D’Amico, Jr. today.